An eyebrow lift (also called a forehead lift) is a cosmetic surgery procedure performed to reduce forehead creases and improve drooping of the brow. A brow lift is an excellent way for Nashville women and men to rejuvenate their appearance.
As we grow older, lines on the forehead eventually develop and increase over time, and often, eyebrows begin to droop or lower. In addition to removing creases from the forehead, a brow lift is often used to reposition low eyebrows, including those that are droopy due to sagging.
Many of our patients combine eyelid surgery, blepharoplasty, with a brow lift. Sometimes, it is part of a facelift, but even on its own, a brow lift procedure is effective in giving a relaxed and youthful appearance.
How is a brow lift done?
There are several techniques for lifting the brow area and forehead.
- A coronal lift utilizes an incision in the scalp that extends from the top of one ear over the scalp to the top of the opposite ear. This type of lift results in pulling the frontal hairline back and lengthens the forehead.
- A pretrichial lift utilizes an incision along the frontal hairline that extends into the hairline of the temple region on each side. This type of lift does not change the position of the frontal hairline, but can potentially leave a visible scar, depending on the patient’s hairstyle.
- An endoscopic lift involves several smaller incisions within the front of the scalp that allows the brow and forehead to be lifted without the removal of any excess skin or soft tissue. This type of lift typically involves some form of anchoring of the repositioned soft tissues to the skull and results in elevating the frontal hairline and elongating the forehead.
- A direct lift utilizes an incision along the upper edge of the brow on each side to elevate the brow directly.
Each technique has its pros and cons, and there is no one technique that is right for every patient. Dr. Michael Boggess, at Youthful Reflections, is trained and skilled in all forms of brow lift procedures and can help you determine the best treatment plan for your individual anatomy and goals.
Benefits of a Brow Lift
1. A brow lift is a great way to rejuvenate your appearance.
Although lifting the eyebrows generally involves the brows and forehead, it can enhance your whole facial look while making your appearance younger. Browse through some of our patients’ before-and-after photos to see the procedure’s rejuvenating effect.
Both women and men do not want to be mistaken as older than they are. A brow lift procedure is one way to help reverse some of the aging changes of the face. You should note, however, that gravity will continue to affect you, as it is a normal part of the aging process.
2. The procedure can be customized for anyone.
If you have been complaining about extra skin or fat hanging over your eyes, eyebrow lifts may work for you. If applying makeup on the upper lid has become an issue, it may be due to a drooping tissue. If your skin looks saggy and is obscuring the surface of the eyelids, then a lift may be able to solve this issue.
Here is a simple test you can do to find out if you are a suitable candidate for an eyebrow lift. Lift your skin above your eyebrow. It should eliminate most of the drooping tissue in your upper eyelid. If the skin looks better or your overall appearance improves, you could truly benefit from the procedure.
A brow lift also helps those with the following:
- Low, saggy brows that can result in an angry, tired, bored, or sad look
- The horizontal indentation that has become more pronounced over the years
- Frown lines that start at the top of the nose or are very pronounced between the eyebrows
You can also learn more about the procedure’s options in this brow lift guide from the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery.
3. There are very few post-surgery side effects.
Swelling and bruising can be a common side effect for most patients. Swelling will not just appear on the brow and forehead areas but also can appear on the cheeks and eyes. While results may vary per individual patient, visibly noticeable swelling and bruising typically resolves in about 1 to 2 weeks.
You may be advised to keep your head elevated for at least a couple of days after the surgery. Make sure to listen to your doctor about how to properly care for the operated region.
Most people can go back to work in less than two weeks, and WebMD and this related blog post provide more information about what to expect during brow lift recovery.
4. A brow lift is a safe procedure.
Before any procedure, it is important to undergo consultation and examination. Since eyebrow lifts are a surgical procedure, you should divulge all your medical conditions. You should also provide a list of all the medications you are currently taking.
Depending on your situation, you may be asked to postpone taking certain medications. Aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs can increase bleeding, which is why it is often required to stop taking them.
A few lifestyle adjustments may also be needed, such as taking a break from smoking cigarettes—at least temporarily. Nevertheless, it is a safe procedure for almost everyone.
5. The procedure offers long-term benefits.
A brow lift can help improve the look of the patient and is effective in boosting self-confidence. A brow lift is not just about achieving a more youthful appearance but also giving you the freedom to be yourself again.
The success of the procedure relies on the surgeon, which is why you should contact Youthful Reflections today to set up your free consultation with Dr. Boggess. Learn about how you can get the help you need to look the way you want, as well as the many benefits of the procedure by calling our office at (615) 942-8016 or requesting a consultation using our online contact form. Get all the facts that will allow you to decide whether or not an eyebrow lift is for you.
Please note: All patients are unique, and individual results may vary.