As cosmetic surgery professionals, it is our job to educate you on how to optimize healing after plastic surgery, as a final – but critical – step to achieving your desired results. Following these guidelines will not only facilitate an easy, healthy and quick recovery, but it will also help you prepare for how you will feel and look during the first few days and weeks following your procedure.
Here are three best practices for your recovery that can help, regardless of procedure:
This can be especially challenging, as often the waiting to enjoy your final results can prove to be the hardest part. Some procedures require only a few days of recovery while others may take weeks or even months. It is important to speak with Dr. Boggess prior to the procedure so that you can not only manage your expectations, but you can also prepare for the procedure’s impact on your day-to-day life and plan accordingly.
Be sure to allow your body ample time to recover. Adhering to your plastic surgeon’s recovery plan is paramount for achieving the results you want. Your recovery plan may include any of the following:
- Using medication as prescribed to control the pain and swelling, and to promote healing.
- Icing the affected area, as recommended.
- Elevating the affected area, as recommended, to combat swelling.
- Avoiding sun exposure during your recovery.
- Attending follow-up appointments to allow Dr. Boggess to closely monitor your recovery.
- Disclosing any medications or supplements that you take, as they may interfere with your recovery.
- Abstaining from exercise until your doctor tells you it’s okay to get back to your normal level of physical activity.
- Drinking plenty of fluids and eating a balanced diet to help your body get the nutrients it needs to heal quickly.
- Quitting smoking to help speed up the healing process.
Being realistic means understanding that cosmetic surgery will improve, though not perfect, your looks. An ideal candidate understands that any procedure will serve only to enhance their natural beauty – and those that accept that are more likely to be thrilled with their results.
Any elective cosmetic procedure brings with it both the fear of the unknown and the thrill of transformation. By following Dr. Boggess’ recovery plan with a little patience, self-care, and realistic expectations, you can help yourself achieve the results you want.
For more information or with any questions, please don’t hesitate to call Youthful Reflections today.