Great skin isn’t simply a matter of DNA or age. The routine you choose – or don’t choose – can have a significant impact on the health and vitality of your skin. But there are countless dizzying opinions on everything from moisturizing to toning to protecting yourself from the sun.
So, with a new year approaching, here are 10 skincare resolutions to make – and keep – in 2018.
1. Cleanse. Choose a gentle cleanser – not a wipe – that can remove oily build up and makeup thoroughly so that your pores are open and can breathe freely – in the morning, at night and after working out.
2. Exfoliate. Once a week, give yourself a good scrub with the right amount of grit to get rid of the dead skin cells and other impurities that can collect on your skin throughout the day.
3. Use Toner. While most people feel that toners are optional, using toner is an essential step in your skincare regimen to prevent aging naturally. Its alpha hydroxy acid will help regulate your natural oils.
4. Nourish. Skin nourishers with antioxidants can help protect your skin from environmental damage and those with hyaluronic acid can work to plump and regenerate your skin and prevent wrinkles.
5. Use Facial Oil. Facial oils are typically created to mimic the natural oils of your skin and can help prevent aging naturally. Only a few drops on your skin after cleansing will give you a dewy, fresh look.
6. Sunblock. Add the right sun protection lotions and creams to your skincare routine, applying generously and carefully, as the harmful UV rays of the sun not only strip your skin of moisture but can also cause wrinkles.
7. Hands and Chest. Don’t forget your hands and décolletage during your skincare routine. The skin on the back of your hands and on your chest is extremely thin and therefore very prone to damage and wrinkling.
8. Protect Your Eyes. The skin around your eyes is also very thin, delicate and prone to wrinkling so apply creams that contain retinol and vitamin C to hydrate and prevent wrinkles and crow’s feet.
9. Use A Night Cream. Create a skincare routine that can slow the aging process and stimulate the production of collagen as you sleep. Use creams that contain retinol, antioxidants, lactic acid, and hyaluronic acid.
10. Get Sleep. The best skincare products and routines are all for naught if you’re not rested. Make sure you sleep well – for roughly 8 hours a night – and your skin will repay you by rejuvenating while you slumber.
And the most important skincare routine resolution for 2018? Commit to whichever routine you choose. Waiting for a new skincare treatment to reveal its results can be a real test of patience, but even good anti-aging creams can take six weeks to work. The same goes for skin lighteners and acne products, too. But if you don’t see any changes after six weeks, try a new product.
If you’re ready to face the new year with new skincare resolutions and resolve but don’t know where to start, or want to jumpstart the year with an in-office treatment, contact one of the skincare experts at Youthful Reflections to get you on the right path today.