As people age, the skin of the upper eyelids begins to sag and droop due to loss of elasticity. The sagging skin can hang over the upper eyelid and lashes and cause visual field obstruction, and the fat around the eye can also protrude into the eyelid with age, resulting in a puffy appearance of the eyelid and obscuring the natural eyelid crease.
An upper eyelid blepharoplasty can restore a natural, more youthful appearance to the eyes and can improve vision in cases with visual field obstruction, with the incision hidden in the natural eyelid crease.
So, if you’re considering eyelid surgery, here are eight things you should know about blepharoplasty:
1. Eyelid surgery is subtle. You’ll still look like you, just a well-rested version of yourself. It won’t change the structure of your eyes, it will simply help to alleviate bags and puffiness to help you look awake and refreshed.
2. It’s normal to be nervous. Chances are you’ll be happy with your final results, but it’s totally normal to be nervous before your procedure. Talk to your surgeon to help ease your fears.
3. Avoid makeup and contacts. Following surgery, you’ll be advised to avoid makeup and contact lenses for at least a week or two to allow your eyelids time to recover and avoid infection.
4. Allow yourself time to heal. Let the recovery process take its course. Take time away from work following surgery to give yourself a few days to recover privately and to follow your surgeon’s recovery guidelines.
5. It can make you look younger. You may finally stop being asked if you feel OK or being told you look tired. Eyelid surgery can help you regain your youthful glow and confidence by tightening sagging eyelid skin.
6. Results are long-lasting. Eyelid surgery doesn’t stop the aging process but will stop, or even turn back, the clock as many as 10 years – or more.
7. Recovery is relatively quick. Patients can generally resume reading after 2 – 3 days and driving after a few days. Following your surgeon’s specific instructions for postoperative care will also help expedite your recovery.
8. Costs may vary. For most purchases, saving money makes sense but surgery is not one of those times. Well-qualified doctors may offer surgery for less, but most discounted surgeries come with discounted results.
Eyelid surgery can be a wonderful way to fix under-eye bags, dark circles, and sagging skin. So, if you think you may be a good candidate for the procedure and want to learn more, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with our team today.